06/02/2017 Museography Adaptating Casa Vicens to cultural use The current appearance of Casa Vicens and its estate is the outcome of the different changes and transformations that it has undergone throughout its history, which have left three clearly distinct areas: the original construction from 1883-1885, the work of Antoni Gaudí; the enlargement made in 1925 by Joan Baptista Serra de Martínez; and the garden around it. Bearing in mind its new use as a museum and cultural site, the rehabilitation project sought to adapt the spaces of the building that correspond to the 1925 enlargement so they can house the different services required by new cultural spaces. In this way, the spaces originally designed by Gaudí did not have to be modified. First of all, the spaces designed by Serra de Martínez will be used to serve visitors and will complement the tour of the entire house. The ground floor will house the visitor welcome area, while the spaces on the first and second floors will be set up to house the permanent exhibition halls displaying information about the building, along with the temporary exhibitions and activities related to the museological project. Secondly, this 1925 enlargement allows us to resolve the building’s accessibility. The circulation through the building will be organised with the construction of a new staircase which restores the original one from the single-family home, which disappeared with the enlargement. A lift up to the roof has also been installed to connect all the floors in the building. Finally, the basement of both the original building and the enlargement – spaces that have been transformed over time – will house the bookshop and shop. The different installations (electricity, heating and air conditioning, data) which are needed for the new facility to operate, as well as the restrooms and other areas for internal use, will also be located in the basement. Finally, the café will be located at the end of the garden.